I love summer for many reasons. The iced coffee is flowing; beach days are happening; and the Huntington Summer Arts Festival at Heckscher Park is going on. This week kicked off the start of the live music festival, which will run for 42 nights and end on August 11. And, obviously, I’m very excited about it. I have been attending the festival for a few years now, and with each passing summer, I seem to add more and more shows to my agenda. I have learned of so many new-to-me bands and musicians through this event and I am looking forward to hearing some amazing musicians play in the park this summer.
Tonight is the first show for me, which will be Banda Magda World Music: Latin Samba, French Chanson, and Greek. There is nothing better after a long week than relaxing under the stars and unwinding while listening to live music.
Last year, I attended six shows during the Summer Arts Festival (here’s a recap post for you), and this summer, I plan on attending the following performances:
- Banda Magda World Music: Latin Samba, French Chanson, and Greek
- Sol y Sombra Spanish Dance Company: I’ve seen them perform twice before and they are amazing!
- Nassau Pops Symphony Orchestra: This is one of my favorite performances of the entire summer concert series.
- Jazz Week: If you like jazz, the week of July 16th is for you. I will definitely be in the audience most nights during this week.
- L.I. Orchestra with David Stewart Wiley and Jeffrey Biegel: This is my other favorite night to attend the Summer Arts Festival. The L.I. Orchestra does not disappoint!
This is a preliminary list of performances that I plan to attend after reviewing the concert schedule, which can be found here. I’m sure there will be others added to my list as the summer progresses.
A big thank you to the Huntington Arts Council for putting this incredible Summer Arts Festival together each year. As a town resident, I love attending these performances myself, but also enjoy introducing friends to it every summer.