What better way to welcome in the official start of summer than a day at the beach! After careful planning, and much anticipation, my three-day weekend concluded with some rest and relaxation at the beach. The weather was perfect – near 80 degrees and sunny with a nice breeze to keep me comfortable for a day of fun in the sun.
I practically grew up going to the beaches in Long Beach, NY as a child, and my love for the sand and water has remained well into adulthood. I remember waiting for the weekends to arrive after a long week of school and being disappointed if the weather were not perfect. My mother and I would spend the morning packing for the day and lug beach chairs, umbrellas, and coolers across the boardwalk until we claimed our ‘spot’ on the sand.
Now that I am older, and usually don’t have too many free days to devote to laying at the beach, my essentials include:
– A good beach bag: Although I am not a huge Vera Bradley fan, my friend gave me a bag as a gift last year and it has become my go-to summer tote.
– Sunglasses: I never leave home without sunglasses, but my Coach ones have become my loyal sidekick! These shades were well worth the money, and they have been to many states and countries in the eight years since I purchased them.
– American University beach towel: As a gift prior to transferring, AU sent me a towel over the summer and it has been to many beaches since I received it.
– A good book: Right now I am reading Malcolm Gladwell’s The Tipping Point.
– A good magazine: I love Women’s Health magazine, and usually keep a copy in my car to peruse at my leisure.
– Beach cover-up: I purchased a teal summer dress from H&M last season and love it because it works at the beach, and also when running around doing errands on a hot summer day.
– C Wonder flats: I was in heaven when I first found the C Wonder store in Southampton a few years back. My gold flats are the perfect summer sandals as they look great with a tan and go with everything.
– Sunblock: I have been using Neutrogena’s Ultimate Sport Sunblock spray SPF 100+ for years. It’s waterproof, easy to apply, and lightweight on your skin.
– Lots of water: This goes without saying, but it’s really important to stay hydrated when you’re in the sun all day!
Hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day!