As I sit down to write this post I am flooded with all kinds of thoughts. How did I get here? Didn’t I just graduate from college? Wow, it seems like I was just turning 21! Those are a few of the things that are crossing my mind as I try to reflect on my twenties.
While my twenties were good, I feel like I am ready to be thirty and enjoy all that this new decade has in store for me. I’d like to think that I am a little wiser than I was when I turned 21 and have more life experience under my belt. I’ve certainly had my share of struggles in my twenties — from finding my first job in a challenging economic climate to being diagnosed with thyroid cancer when I was only 26. These trying times changed me and taught me a lot about life — at an early age.
Moving forward, I am embracing the challenges I have endured and cherishing the amazing moments that I have been fortunate enough to enjoy.
1. Stand in your truth
2. Save for a rainy day
3. Always keep learning
4. Embrace change (and failure, too)
5. Don’t be afraid to try something new or change course if the status quo no longer works
6. Believe in yourself
7. Silence the naysayers
8. Know that it is okay to fail
9. Learn something new about yourself
10. Challenge yourself
11. Keep reading
12. Travel often
13. Be kind
14. Love yourself
16. But make sure you also know how to relax and unwind
17. Live your life for yourself…not just for social media
18. Love what you do…every day. If you don’t know what you love, don’t stop looking until you find it.
19. Be true to your passion. But don’t depend on it to support you.
20. Keep your friends close and tell them what they mean to you
21. It’s okay to outgrow friends. Some people are in your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. You’ll learn each person’s place as you go along.
22. Don’t hold grudges. Life’s too short for that. Forgive and move on quickly.
23. There is more to life than money. Happiness and experiences are priceless.
24. Treat yourself (within reason, of course)
25. Remember, your health is your wealth. Without it, you have nothing.
26. You are stronger than you think. Even when you have no clue how you are going to make it through a tough situation, you will.
27. Be open-minded and make sure you step out of your comfort zone from time-to-time
28. Have a hobby
29. Say what you mean and mean what you say
30. You don’t need to have all of the answers by the time you are thirty….it’s okay to be a masterpiece and a work-in-progress at the same time.