Well, if you thought there was going to be a gradual transition to fall on the east coast, you’d be wrong (as I sit here writing this post wearing a cozy sweater). Just as summer arrived and immediately brought the heat (read: humidity), it appears as though fall has taken over—even if it isn’t technically scheduled to make its official debut for another few days. The quick emergence of the cooler weather has gotten me a little down, I must admit, so my trip this weekend to Scribner’s Lodge is coming just at the right time.
For many reasons, the last couple of weeks have felt unsettled. The stress of a new month and season, saying goodbye to summer, and the departure of a good friend all felt like too much to handle. So, I’m looking forward to exploring a new-to-me location, spending some time hiking and taking a yoga class, and unwinding with limited distractions. I’ve already checked the weather forecast for the area and packed accordingly, and I’m getting ready to download some books on my iPad to enjoy while sitting in an Adirondack chair with my morning coffee. But mostly, I’m excited to explore Hunter, New York, and take in a slower pace of life for a long weekend.
Here are some things I’m looking forward to at Scribner’s Lodge:
- Enjoying the cozy bespoke lodge: If you’re not following Scribner’s on Instagram, you really should be—even if only for a mid-day staycation in your mind. The property looks so tranquil and I can already hear the hiking trails calling my name.
- Taking a dip in the pool and/or visiting the sauna: I was just about ready to pack away my swimsuits for the season. But when I saw that Scribner’s had a heated pool that was going to be open until Columbus Day weekend, those swimsuits were the first thing I put in my bag.
- Sleeping in: I haven’t been doing a lot of sleeping in (or, well, sleeping at all lately) thanks to jam-packed weekends, but my room at Scribner’s, which has a mountain view and a beautiful balcony will be the perfect setting to indulge in some much-needed R&R.
- Taking photos: My Nikon, which has had quite the respite since getting the new iPhone 11 Pro, will be coming along on this excursion. Look out for some pretty shots on Instagram!
- Getting lost in nature: I’m so grateful that I had the trips out to Montauk over the summer, but there’s something about exploring an area where I haven’t been before that makes it feel even more special. Aside from the idyllic property that the lodge sits on, there are plenty of local hiking trails in Hunter, NY that are sure to keep me busy.
Follow along on Instagram this weekend for a behind-the-scenes look at my stay!